The Pink House, officially known in the National Register of Historic Places as The Reese-Johnson-Finnegan House, was built in 1855. It is one of Nevada’s oldest structures, and one of 7 sites in the United States built in the Gothic Revival architecture.
Originally owned by John Reese, The Pink House served as a town hall of sorts, hosting important meetings that played an important role in Nevada separating from Utah Territory and eventually becoming a state.
In 1870, the house was purchased by local merchant J.R. Johnson and painted pink – a popular color of the time. Johnson became a very popular Genoa resident and held several public offices, including County Treasurer and Assessor.
In 1883, the house was purchased by Daniel Virgin who became the first District Attorney of Douglas County. The Virgins had 3 children, the best known being Lillian Virgin Finnegan who is credited with bringing street lights to the Town of Genoa and setting the wheels in motion for the town’s annual fundraising event, the Genoa Candy Dance.